Fasting vs Detoxing
There is a huge difference between detoxification and fasting, and yet the words tend to be used interchangeably. To detox is to facilitate the removal of toxins from the body whereas fasting is a severe restriction of calories. A fast may be water fast where no nutrients are consumed, but the typical fast is to eliminate all solid foods while drinking a lot of fluids, including juices, to flush out the body. The Master Cleanse lemonade diet is a well-known example. The Master Cleanse does help to detoxify the body, so it is both a detox and a fast.
If you are looking to help stop a fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection, not eating is a good way to be sure you stop feeding the infection. Fasting will “reset” your taste buds so you will enjoy your food more when your fast is complete, and not eating for a short period of time also retunes your appetite, allowing many people to stop their overeating habits once the fast is complete.
Our bodies are constantly removing waste. A person in good healthy who eats a healthy diet always removes more toxins than they accumulate. How is this possible? These people are doing a “detox” program all day, every day, every time they eat! They still do detox programs or take supplements because they need to help the body detoxify from environmental toxins and heavy metals, but overall, they eat a naturally detoxifying diet every day.
Benefits to Detoxifying Without Fasting
I highly recommend eating while detoxifying.
- It’s possible to sustain a detoxification regimen longer when eating, which is imperative for ridding the body of many serious health afflictions.
- Many foods are actually well known to aid the body in detoxification. Great examples are cilantro, garlic, turmeric, and cabbage.
- Vegetable, spice, and herb health benefits often have accumulative effects when eaten together.
- It’s easier to get a lot of nutrition and a lot of garlic into the body.
- When the intestines are healthy, nutrition is better absorbed as food.
- Enzymes, found in fresh food, also help the body detoxify and rebuild.
There are many detox diets like, diuretic diet, fat flush diet, and clean diet and so on. If you ask me it’s unnecessary to go in for such diets when you can detoxify the body naturally. There are several ways to detoxify the system:
- Keep yourself well hydrated
- Avoid processed/junk food
- Avoid alcohol
- Get good sleep
- Eat lot of fibres
- Get indulged in good amount of activity
So although you might hear some people talk about detox or fasting as if they were the same thing, you now know the difference. They are similar, but definitely not the same! Depending on the program, these two might even intertwine at times, but starving yourself for long periods is never a good idea. Eat healthy at all times for body to detox naturally.