Running a 5km run makes us feel good, however the minute we think of climbing a flight of steps we lose our cool. Have we ever wondered why is this so? We squat, we lunge, we do all of those leg press and step ups, but please do not ask us to do the the staircase workout. Well the reason behind this could be that when we climb the staircase our whole body is working out.
If I say so I am sure to have reason for the same. Given below are the reason why staircase workout is so tiring and energy consuming:
Climbing stairs is one of the best exercises when it comes to pure FAT BURN, strengthening the lower body, toning the butt, thighs, calves, losing inches from those love handles and belly and building great abs. Along with these benefits, it is the immense good it does for your lungs and cardiovascular system.
- You’ll burn more calories for every minute climbing stairs than you will jogging.
- Stair climbing produces endorphins the feel good hormone. Now you know why there are people out there addicted to stair racing. The pain and intensity during is rewarded at the end with a rush of endorphins. You’ll feel buggered but you’ll be really happy about it!
- If you’re doing stairs to lose weight there’s good news in it for you because the heavier you are the more calories you’ll burn.
- Stair climbing is like a cardio session and light weights class rolled into one. Because you are working against gravity and propelling yourself upward you’re using your body weight to build leg strength and the act of stair climbing is a vigorous activity, so you’ll be getting a great cardio workout too.
- It’s a myth that taking two stairs at a time burns more calories. Slow and steady wins the race here by burning energy over sustained periods. But – it’s more efficient to take two stairs at a time if you’re wanting to get to the end as fast as you can!
- Going down stairs still burns calories, just not as many. But it does work and tones different muscles. It’s also good for balance and coordination.
- Climbing stairs can lead to improved cardiovascular health and stronger joints and muscles
- Using the stairs requires no special skills, equipment or clothing and it burns twice as many calories as walking.
- Climbing stairs is a great way to amp your core muscle strength.
So now you know the benefits of climbing stairs, you just need to find some to climb! Remember to start at a slow pace and aim to walk only a few flights until your body feels ready for an increased challenge. While stair climbing offers a variety of health benefits, the vigorous activity may be unsafe for people with heart conditions, as well as for those with knee, hip or ankle problems. Harvard Medical School reports that stair climbing is an effective way to lose weight and keep it off, since people who walk up stairs, even at a slower pace, burn calories three times faster than when walking at a faster speed on a normal surface.